Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A time to reflect

I'm going to take a break from my attempts at being witty (because you know, I've been blogging soooo long/frequently) to muse something a little more somber.

September 11, 2001: I guess you could classify me as uninvolved. I did not lose any loved ones; honestly, I didn't even know anyone living in NYC. Though "uninvolved", I certainly wasn't unaffected. From the day I was born, I have always been compassionate to an extreme. This is in no way commending myself. I am no martyr; perhaps emotional would be more fitting. I took 9/11 much harder than the majority of those "uninvolved."

I never came to terms with the tragedy. Being in NYC 5 years later, I decided it was time to try and gain some closure. I headed down to ground zero after work. After milling around looking at memorial artwork for a few minutes, I settled down against the wall of a quiet ally next to the site. It was time to cry. I sat and cried and let out all my frustrations and anger and grief. The same wall I sat against slowly became spotted with other grievers, quietly revering the past. People passing by took pictures of the site, much like those by the memorial. I wondered how so many people could treat it merely as some tourist attraction, completely indifferent. I suppose one day it will become just that--look at Pearl harbor after all. But it's too fresh, too new, too raw--Still a piece of recent history. The passers by snuck glances at me and the others as they walked by-but who can blame them? It's human nature to look at someone crying, much like watching a train wreck.

And as I lifted my head, taking a break from these thoughts, I found a woman standing, camera aimed down, pointing directly at me, post click...as though the mourners were on display-as though we were a tourist attraction too! HAVE SOME FUCKING RESPECT. I gave her a long, hard, cold stare. I regret not throwing her camera over the fence. Seriously, what is wrong with people? I cried and prayed some more: for those who lost their lives, for their families, and for humanity. What does our future hold if we cannot feel for our fellow man?

As I sat with tears streaking my face, a young woman next to me who had been silently paying her respects leaned down next to me and quietly asked, "would you like a hug from a stranger?" And as I accepted her outreached arms, I thought "maybe the world isn't so bad."

2 Comments:

At 12:58 AM, Blogger WHO MATT BAKER?!?!?! said...

...or maybe you could've reflected on what happened while at ground zero and then let your feelings out in the privacy of your own home, away from the obvious circus surrounding the wtc site.

:)

 
At 9:50 PM, Blogger Kelly T. said...

well snap matt baker, i suppose we can't all be as self controlled and totally awesome as yourself. after all, you are ALL that is man! and only sissys cry! <3.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home